Wednesday, September 3, 2014

REGRETS & WILD YEARNINGS

I can actually feel the presence of my soul these days. Like the little quick kicks of a baby nestled in the womb, letting a mother know the time is coming soon, when this child will want out.

It is like a giant yawn. Like stretching from head to toe after having sat still for much too long. It is like laying on a hillside as a child, when we so wanted to reach out and touch the quick scudding clouds.

It feels like I am ready to explode, or erupt, or go into labor. There is a painful ache to it all. There is real work involved. This will not be easy.

I want my soul back. I want to be true to being the person God created me to be. I want to be authentic. I want to live my truth. I want to mean what I say, and say what I mean. I want to stop telling or living a lie.

I have a wild desire to come clean. I want to scrub off all the grit and grime of trying to impress the world. I want to be baptized in boiling water. Cauterized. Free of all the germs of greed and guilt. I just want to embrace my remaining time. I want to squeeze it dry of all its joyous juices.

I hear so many retired folks, old folks, telling one another they have no regrets. Are they nuts? How can you not have any regrets? I have a bunch of regrets. A bouquet of weeds. 

I regret the days spent planning my days. I regret worrying incessantly about my poll numbers. I regret the years of seeking to be perfect. I regret all the damn excuses for not loving, or forgiving, or believing. I regret being a lousy husband, father, friend, pastor, and person – way too much of the time. I regret running away from Death, rather than inviting it in, and listening to what it had to say. Most of all, I regret treating my body so badly.

Yup, my soul has become an overgrown mess of a garden. I have a lot of weeding to do in there. It’s time to get my hands dirty.

2 comments:

  1. I see an online workshop...sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe everyone regrets something if they dare to look deep enough. I have always believed in looking deeply, but not staying long. It's good to look, learn and move on. Many choose to stay and dwell on their mistakes because it is easier than choosing to change. I applaud your courage to take the look, and I wish you greater courage and strength in making the changes that will help you to be happier and healthier as you come out the other side. I hope that someday you can love yourself as much as we all love you...warts and all. (And yes, someday I will call you back! But know, I am always thinking of you!)

    ReplyDelete